Wednesday, January 5, 2011

An Observation of Sporting Events and Stuff...

I went to an Oilers game a couple weeks ago....at Rexall Place of course....as we walked through the parking lot I noticed a whole section dedication to those with handicap status. The lot was full and I remember thinking all sorts of somewhat inappropriate thoughts about the attendance at the game that night- in jest of course.

Anyways, we had really good seats and I had a clear view of the suite designated for those with special needs and there were only like 4 people sitting in it- it was empty....SOOOOOOOOOOOOO basically, these folks with handicap parking status can walk up and down a bunch of steps at Rexall Place and shimmy between rows of people, to and from.....yet, they cannot walk a couple extra yards to get to the building; they need to park extra close so they avoid the cold, and the ice, and the long walk and they get to do the same at the grocery store and the drug store and the shopping mall and the Olive Garden, but yet they have no problem making their way around steep concrete stairs at a hockey game......

I don't want to be insensitive....yet I am when it comes to the handicap parking. I don't want someone with a handicap driving. If the Government of Alberta prevents me from using my cell phone while driving because doing so increases my chances of getting into a car accident, then surely a person with vision or hearing impairments shouldn't be driving....or someone with a high risk of seizures or heart attacks....or someone with poor use of their right leg, left arm or neck? Surely someone who cannot walk an extra couple of feet to and from Starbucks is someone who cannot possibly react to the roads the way they need to.
I accept those that are driving someone with needs around and need special access- they have to set up a wheel chair or walk them across the icy pavement etc. But more often then not, there is one person in the car (should I say jacked up big rig, Cadillac Escalade, Yukon Denali).

Or how about buddy who parks in the stall, flashing his card, hops down from his Super Charged F350, lights a cigarette and then walks into the Liquor store....like seriously? I am walking a block to the bank so that THIS guy doesn't have to suffer any more from Black Lung then he already is? Like how sick are you? Or how impaired are you that you drive a monster truck and smoke a pack a day? I don't want to accommodate you!

Fuck, here I am freezing my ass off as I run into the Walmart....I forgot my mittens, my glasses fog up upon entering and my cart gets stuck in all the snow on the way to my car, but Mr and Mrs Muffet there, who walked down 88 stairs to get to their prime Oilers game seats saunter on in no problem because they are handicap for some reason.

And don't even get me started on special parking for moms with kids and seniors....being a senior is not the equivalent to someone incapable of walking- my dad is 71 and he still farms 3 sections of land, alone if not for 1 month of which he has another 71 year old helping him harvest. 
I also don't know anyone more in need of parking farther away than a mother with children- sure there are times when it's too cold to be fussing outside with a child and a car seat, baby is sick, mom's tired as a result of basic mom routine or the kid throws a fit and it's fairly difficult to drag said child across the lot without looking like you're incapable of raising a family....but for the most part, kids and moms alike could use the exercise....kids to burn off energy and moms to lose the baby fat- that's right- I SAID IT. 

Point is, none of these points warrant special parking privileges...if one disagrees then maybe there should be special parking for those with hybrid cars too, or for being a regular patron of whatever store, or for being blonde- because it's a recessive gene, we are like endangered species and communities should do their best to preserve a healthy and vibrant blond population. OR at least explain to poor ignorant me, how or why handicaps -who cannot walk to the door, but can get around hockey rinks- drive, yet those on cell phones cannot. 

This is fucking Alberta, it's minus fucking 20 degrees Celsius and I'm here first and I am sooooooooo tired of always having to park a zillion miles from the door. 

SIDE NOTE: I actually walked to the grocery store the other day because by the time my car warmed up and I found a parking spot, I would have been able to walk there and back.  Was I able to skip the line? Did anyone give me a high five? Or watch my dog outside for me while I grabbed a block of cheese? No......
Fucking parking







No comments: