Monday, May 17, 2010

Great for Entertaining

Today I wish to address something that has been eating away at my soul ever since "House Hunters" debuted on HGTV.
Since "House Hunters", a number of similar programs have aired- all in which the audience gets to watch real life couple/singles walk around in search of a home....be it a first home, a joint purchase, a move, to accomodate a bigger family, whatever.
The most overused phrase that I hear is "this would be Great For Entertaining". What the fuck people....if I could collect a dollar everytime one of these reality purchasers discounted a house because the kitchen didn't provide a great environment for entertaining or because the only bathroom was upstairs so it inconvienienced guests, I'd be on my brand new boat somewhere in the Carribean by now.
You do NOT buy a house for entertaining- you buy a house so you can live there, comfortably- who the hell cares is your guests have to walk upstairs to piss or that your guest bedroom is too small? How many people do you have over at any given time exactly? Like 4? Everyday? no.

Not to mention, this yard is "great for entertaining"? Really? Does your wife get up on the two-tier patio and swing around a pole? Do your children gather on the lawn and perform hymns while you BBQ? Do you collect a fee? Are there costums? Do you advertise?
I have friends over for a drink, sometimes I cook...."Hey friend, what are you doing Saturday night? Interested in some entertainment? I would like to entertain you and your family if you would like".
Now if this doesn't send your friend running, I don't know what would. Sounds like a sexual proposition to me....Instead, I ask, want to come over? Have dinner? Drinks? Friend comes over and we sit, and drink, and gossip....I do not get up and dance for her, the most I do is hand her the remote....there is no Entertainment outside of the neighbour's dog rubbing its ass on the lawn.
So why oh why do so many people think they need to aloud comment on "how great the space is for entertaining". And it seems like such a cruicial feature....nevermind that you and your family have an awkward living space as a result of your need accomodate your guests.
AND it's catching on! I hear more and more REAL home buyers commenting on how the kitchen island is "great for entertaining"! COME ON! also note that there is a VERY slim chance that your guests, the ones you are buying your house for so you can entertain them, they are VERY unlikely to extend the same consideration...nope, they are buying a home so they can live comfortably...when you come over,  and have little to no room to spread your legs out on the tiny deck outside- they do not care because the master ensuite bathroom is AMAZING. How lucky are they to have not only a GREAT home to LIVE in, but you bought a house for them to be entertained in! WOW!

Assholes....

1 comment:

iris said...

Your rants bring me happiness.